Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tell Me a Story.

I love stories! I guess I have to love them to enjoy my profession. How fun would teaching literature be if I didn't enjoy a quality story? Yes, they captivate me. No matter how many times I read To Kill a Mockingbird, I still relive with Scout those harsh yet amazing summers in Maycomb County. Every year, when I flip through the pages of the Holocaust survival story found in Night, I cringe at the renewed realization that humanity can be so cruel, yet I find hope in the beauty of those who chose to rescue, of those who chose the more difficult path and stood against the common trend in society. Whether it's in the futuristic setting of Fahrenheit 451 or the utopian society of The Giver, losing myself within the pages of a book not only fascinates me but also offers to me glimpses of characters who learn from their own mistakes and those of others, of people who grab onto hope and refuse to let go.

Beyond the tales of literature, there exist other stories not written down in books and not typed into a blog. I can't check them out at the library nor can I download the Kindle version onto my phone. I won't find them on a shelf or be able to borrow them from a friend. They come in the form of friends around a campfire or of folks sitting around the dinner table or of people gathered together in the living room. These are the stories of how God brings men and women, boys and girls to himself. Testimonies--I love listening to believers' testimonies! Just like any good story, personal stories of Christ's redemption present a hero, but this hero, our Savior, does not just create a happy ending, he offers eternal life that begins on earth. The context may change; the characters always vary; the conflicts cover a wide range, but the hero remains the same. The hero offers a restored relationship between the Creator and his creation.

Hope--that's what truly good stories have in common. Because Atticus takes a stand in Maycomb County, others find encouragement and hope for a better future. When Jonas decides to flee the community, he finds hope in memories and in the outside world. Even as Frodo and Sam almost perish, Aragorn finds hope to fight against the forces of Mordor. Yet, these stories of hope pale in comparison to the ultimate Story of Hope, the story of the reconciliation of man to God, a story lived out in the lives of believers. Those are the stories I never tire of hearing. Those are the ones that stir and move me the most.

No comments: